Luxemburg 2 Euro 2016 Grand Duchess Charlotte Bridge
|Category||Special 2 euro coins|
In 2016 it is 50 years since the Charlotte Bridge was opened. The full name of this bridge is æPont Grande Duchesse CharlotteÆ. In 1957, the construction of the bridge, which was completed in 1966, was opened by Grand Duchess Charlotte, after whom the bridge is named. The bridge is also known as the red bridge. It is actually not a nice bridge but very functional for the infrastructure. The bridge crosses the Alzettedal and connects the Kirchberg and Limpersberg districts. The bridge is more than 350 meters long and is up to 75 meters above the valley. No less than 4900 tons of steel has been incorporated into this bridge. Because it was 50 years since this bridge was opened, Luxembourg has issued a special 2 Euro coin. On the coin is a part of the Charlotte bridge extending into the outer ring of the coin. In addition, a portrait of the Grand Duke's face is shown. According to Luxembourg law it is compulsory for an image of the Grand Duke to be depicted on the Luxembourg coins. The years 1966 and 2016 are al so shown. At the bottom of the coin is the country name in French: Luxembourg.